Information of Department Profile, Syllabus, Activities and Many More.
“Our vision is to make our students one of the best users of Statistics by applying statistical methods for Analysis of Data and Understanding the Real Problem Situations”
To promote educational, social, cultural and economic development of the rural students and make them responsible to themselves and others, further enable them do suitable jobs and lead happy life.
Department of Statistics was established in the year 1984 for Undergraduate degree in Statistics. Annual pattern for F.Y.B.Sc and Semester pattern for S.Y.B.Sc are followed. One full time qualified lecturer is there with Ph.D and M Phil. Faculty member is also engaged in interdisciplinary courses like Operation Research for T Y B Sc Mathematics & Business Statistics at F Y B Com. Various activities like Statistics Quiz Contest ( P U S A) & Avishkar of university level are conducted every year for F.Y.B.Sc. and S.Y.B.Sc. Students for the past 12 years. On an average 40-50 students take admission to F.Y.B.Sc for the past 7 – 8 years. Strength of S.Y.B.Sc students is around 25-30 which showed a significant improvement since 5 to 6 years .About 12-18 percent of S.Y.B.Sc students join for statistics as a principal subject at graduate level in our Parent Institute. Our past students are well placed in industries, academics, Banks, Insurance companies, research fields.
A student of statistics is gradually trained in logical and statistical techniques so that student can develop a hobby or a tool of his profession which may create great ambition. With this very aim, the B Sc statistics syllabus provides training in such diverse statistical disciplines like statistical analysis, survey analysis, interpretation, research, statistical quality control, regression analysis and computer programming. A graduate has a wide variety of career options in areas like computer applications, business administration, statistics and operational research, banking and insurance sector, civil and statistical services.
The Department of Statistics of MVP Samaj,s Arts, Science & Commerce College, Ozar (Mig) comprises highly qualified and dedicated faculty that specialize in diverse areas such as Biostatistics, Regression Analysis, Operations Research & Sampling Theory. Apart from putting in constant sincere efforts to help the students, teachers here are constantly engaged in research activities and updating themselves on the latest in the subject.
Department has a well furnished computer lab as there are computer courses like MS Excel , R- Software and C-Programming offered. There are applied courses like Statistical Quality Control, Regression methodology and Design of Experiments which are having significant demand in industries as far as job potential is concerned. Department has its own library which provide almost all the books prescribed in the syllabus.
- To teach the principles, fundamentals and progression of the subjects.
- To develop skills in presenting and summarizing data through statistical skills.
- To develop computational skills using MS-Excel and R software.
- To teach how to conduct survey for obtaining data from various fields, which will help the students to perform project analysis.
- To develop research attitude.
- List of Faculty Member currently working in the Department:
|Sr. No.||Name of the Faculty||Qualification||Designation|
|1.||Dr. K.P. Amrutkar||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Assistant Professor and Head|
- Faculty Members Served in the Department:
|Sr. No.||Name of the Faculty||Qualification||Designation||Tenure|
|1.||Prof. Dr. S.T. Wagh||M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D.||Professor and Head||1986-2020|
|2.||Mr. L.A. Pachlore||M.Sc.||Assistant Professor||2021-2022|
|3.||Mr. S.R. Chavan||M.Sc., SET, NET||Assistant Professor||2022-2023|
|F.Y.B.Sc. (Statistics)||Choice Based Credit System|
At first year of under-graduation, students will be given the basic information that
includes-methods of data representation and summarization. Correlation and
regression are the tools that are frequently used in statistical analysis. These topics are
studied in Paper I. Further they are introduced to probability and different discrete
probability distributions along with applications. Relevant experiments on these topics
will be included in practical course.
At second year of under-graduation, students are expected to study various probability distributions and its applications to real-life situations. An important branch of Statistics, viz. testing of hypotheses related to mean, variance, proportion, correlation etc. will be introduced. Some topics related to applications of Statistics will be also introduced.
- First Year B.Sc.: Higher Secondary School Certificate (10+2) or its equivalent Examination with English and Mathematics; and two of the science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Geology, etc.
- Second Year B.Sc.: Keeping terms of First Year of B. Sc. with Statistics as one of the subjects.
- Structure of F. Y. B. Sc. Statistics:
|Paper code||Paper||Paper title||credits||Marks|
|ST 111||I||Descriptive Statistics I||2||15||35||50|
|ST 112||II||Discrete Probability||2||15||35||50|
|ST 113||III||Statistics Practical Paper I||1.5||15||35||50|
|ST 121||I||Descriptive Statistics II||2||15||35||50|
|ST 122||II||Discrete Probability Distributions||2||15||35||50|
|ST 123||III||Statistics Practical Paper II||1.5||15||35||50|
- Structure of S. Y. B. Sc. Statistics:
|Paper code||Paper||Paper title||credits||Marks|
|ST 231||I||Statistics theory paper I||2||15||35||50|
|ST 232||II||Statistics theory paper II||2||15||35||50|
|ST 233||III||Statistics Practical Paper I||2||15||35||50|
|ST 241||I||Statistics theory paper I||2||15||35||50|
|ST 242||II||Statistics theory paper II||2||15||35||50|
|ST 243||III||Statistics Practical Paper II||2||15||35||50|
Main Activities of the Department:
Apart from teaching, faculty members of the department actively take part in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Following is the list of some activities:
- Celebration of National Statistics Day
- Organization of Quiz Competitions
- Organization of workshops/seminars/webinars
- Projects on Social Issues
- Conducts practical on MS-Excel/R/SPSS/Minitab/MATLAB
- Organization of guest lecturers of Eminent Scientists and Statisticians
- Organization of Industrial Visit
Achievements of students and Faculty:
Following is the short list of accomplishments:
- K.P. Amrutkar received National Best Scientist Award (IMRF) 2021 in Reliability Theory.
- Presentation and publication of Research Papers in National/International conferences by teachers
- Received prizes in PUSA quiz and Project competition
- Received prizes in Scientific Poster competition on the occasion of National Science Day
Teaching methods adopted to improve student learning:
- Chalk and Talk (Lecture Method)
- ICT: Use of Power Point Presentations, Audio Lectures, Educational CD, Use of software
- Guest Lectures by Experts
- Problem solving method
- Learning through experiments
- Classroom discussions
- Projects: Through projects students learn various techniques:
- Framing questionnaire
- Conducting surveys
- Interaction with people
- Understanding social issues
- Handling and Interpreting data.
Research Publication in International Refereed Journals
|Sr. No||Name of Author(s)||Full Title of the Paper||Journal Name||Volume No||Issue No.||Year of Publication||From Page To Page (pp)|
|01||K.K. Kamalja and K.P. Amrutkar||Computational methods for reliability and importance measures of weighted-consecutive-systems||IEEE Transactions on Reliability||63||1||2014||94-104|
|02||K.P. Amrutkar and K.K. Kamalja||Reliability and importance measures of weighted-k -out-of-n:F system||International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering||21||3||2014||1450015 (22 pages)|
|03||K.P. Amrutkar and K.K. Kamalja||Reliability and importance measures of weighted-(n,f,k) and <n,f,k> systems||Computers and Industrial Engineering||107||2017||85-99|
|04||K.P. Amrutkar and K.K. Kamalja||An overview of various importance measures of reliability system||International Journal of Mathematical, Engineering and Management Sciences||2||3||2017||150-171|
|05||K.K. Kamalja and K.P. Amrutkar||Reliability and importance measures of weighted-r-within-consecutive-k -out-of-n:F system||IEEE Transactions on Reliability||67||3||2018||951-969|
|06||L.R. Chopade, J.S. Paradeshi, K.P. Amrutkar and B.L. Chaudhari||Finding out potent probiotic cultures from ayurvedic formulation Takrarishtathrough in-vitro probiotic characterization and principal component analysis||LWT – Food Science and Technology||100||–||2018||205-212|
|07||K.K. Kamalja and K.P. Amrutkar||Joint reliability importance of weighted consecutive systems||Life Cycle Reliability and Safety Engineering||10||1||2021||1-14|
|08||N.V. Khangar and K.P. Amrutkar||A Statistical Study of “Selfitis“: The Disease of New Era||International Journal of Applied Mathematics & Statistical Sciences||11||2||2022||31-42|
|09||Patil, C.A.Nalawade, P.M., Gadakh, B.L. and Amrutkar, K.P.||Spatio-Temporal varation Within in pH and TDS in groundwater using Statistics and GIS in Nashik District, Maharashtra India||Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics||12
|10||Patil, C.A.,Nalawade, P.M., Khangar, N.V., Gadakh, B.L. and Amrutkar, K.P.||Spatio-temporal variations of groundwater by using analysis of variance: A case study in Nashik District, Maharashtra, India||Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences (JBES)||21||6||2022||26-34|
Research Publication in International Refereed Journals
|Sr. No||Name of Author(s)||Full Title of the Paper||Conference Name||Conference held at||Duration of Conference|
|01||Thangamayan,S., Walunjkar, M.D., Kumar Ray, D.,Venkatesan, M., Banik, A. and Amrutkar, K.P.||5G Modulation Technique Comparisons Using Simulation Approach||3rd International Conference on Intelligent Engineering and Management (ICIEM)||Amity University, Noida||April 27-29, 2022.|
SWOC analysis of the department and Future plans:
- Qualified and experienced faculty.
- Well-equipped laboratory.
- ICT enabled teaching learning facility.
- Being an interdisciplinary subject, department renders services to various departments.
- Motivates and prepares students for participating in Quiz competitions
- Students participate in workshops as well as present research papers in conferences.
- Inadequate strength of the students.
- Unable to provide graduation in the statistics
- To offer B.Sc. in statistics.
- More scope for research work.
- To organize short term Certificate Course in Data Analytics.
- Collaboration with government departments and industries: for data analysis and for internship of students
- To increase students’ strength and start T.Y. B.Sc. statistics
- To conduct workshop for data analysis using statistical software for students.
- To start T.Y. B.Sc. statistics
- To strengthen the departmental e-library (E-Books)
- To organize seminars, guest lectures of experts in statistics
- Free consultancy is provided to research students for analyzing and interpreting data.
- Students conduct surveys and try to solve problems on social issues statistically.
Dr. Kalpesh P. Amrutkar
The annual Mathematics & Statistics festival Sankhya provides a platform to students for showcasing their mathematical skills through various events and competitions like paper presentation, mathematical/ statistical quiz, games, and poster making competition. Students also get an opportunity to interact with the best brains in the field of mathematics/ statistics and sciences. The Department invites eminent professionals who enrich the minds of students and teachers through their knowledge, experience and expertise. The Main Activities of Department are Avishkar & PUSA Quiz Contest.
Papers presented in Conferences, Seminars, Workshops and Symposia: